Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Running & Yoga

I started a yoga class at the Y on June 4. The class goes from 6:30 to 7:30, so instead of going home after work and not being able to convince myself to go back out for yoga class, I go to the Y right after work. I usually run a couple miles on the treadmill before class, at a fairly constant pace while listening to music on my mp3 player.

The first couple of weeks, I had major low bloodsugar issues during my run. The first time wasn't too awful since I had some Clif Bloks in my locker. The second time, my sugar was lower (down to 48) and I didn't have any Bloks or gels left in my locker. I panicked and ended up having a whole can of Coke and a whole 5th Avenue bar from the vending machines. I don't recommend eating junk like this before yoga class - I was pretty uncomfortable for most of the hour.

This week I decided to try a different approach because I planned a more intense running workout. I wanted to use a Cardio Coach workout instead of just listening to music on my mp3 player. I ate a cupcake with frosting before I left work, then took my insulin pump off while I ran on the treadmill. Success! When I checked my bloodsugar between running and yoga it was 80. I ate a couple of glucose tabs (because my bloodsugar tends to drop after exercise), put my pump back on, and turned my basal rate down to 50%. By the time I got home, my bloodsugar was 176 - a little high, but much better than the drastic lows I've been having on yoga night. When Jason checked my bloodsugar around 2 AM, it was a perfect 112.

My strategy may or may not work again next week, but at least I got it right this time!

No comments: