Monday, June 11, 2007

Nothing New on Saturday's Run

I planned to run 8 miles on Saturday morning with my running partners, and that's exactly what we did. I rode through my neighborhood Friday night and measured some new routes in my car to come up with what I thought should be an 8 mile route. It turned out to be 9.5 miles in my car, so we modified it a little Saturday morning, ended up short, and had to run out & back on another street to get to 8 miles.

It was pretty hot Saturday morning, and we didn't start until 7:30 AM. I'm glad the route I picked had lots of trees to provide shade! Even with the shade though, it was hot enough to make my bloodsugar drop. I don't know what it is about the heat, but it gets me by surprise every time. We were running up a slight hill, but not much of one, and I felt like I was struggling more than I should have been. I blamed it on the heat and tried to keep going. Eventually I figured out that it wasn't exactly the heat, but that the heat was causing my bloodsugar to drop more than usual on a run. So I walked long enough to suck down a Lemon-Sublime GU (yuck! I didn't like this flavor) and drink some water. A couple minutes later, I was feeling good again. I stopped my insulin pump and finished the run without any more problems. I wonder how many times the whole heat-causes-low bloodsugar thing will have to happen before I'm able to remember this and do something about it before it happens?

No comments: